Buyer Beware: A Major Change in NFS (in Rawhide) is about to happen

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Tue Oct 27 21:06:26 UTC 2009

SD> On the server (Which is suggested): Add the following entry to the
SD> /etc/exports file:

SD> / *(ro,fsid=0)

SD> Note: 'fsid=0' is explained in the exports(5) man pages.

Could someone comment on any potential security issues that exporting
the root in this way exposes?  If all of my exported filesystems happen
to live under /export, can I export that directory instead of '/' and
have things work properly?  If, for whatever reason, I need to export a
file system that doesn't live in /export, would I still be able to mount
it?

 - J<