Buyer Beware: A Major Change in NFS (in Rawhide) is about to happen

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 15:17:05 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 1:13 PM, Steve Dickson <SteveD at redhat.com> wrote:
> On a pre F-12 Server:
>   2) Added the '/ *(ro,fsid=0)' entry to the /etc/exportsfile and
>      reset the exports with 'exportfs -arv' (see exports(5) for details).

*Please* stop recommending this to people.

This is a myopic configuration change which will violate the security
assumptions of almost any system out there.   It's not what
practically anyone wants. Arguably the exports tool should even
prohibit this kind of configuration unless you set some
yes-I-really-intend-to-be-completely-insecure knob, it's certainly not
something that should be recommended as a fix for "help! nfs stopped
working when I upgrade to F13".