Including windows-binary files for cross compiling into package

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Thu Oct 29 20:06:35 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 14:35 -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:

> Joost van der Sluis on 10/26/2009 01:42 PM wrote:
> >
> > Those files are not architecture independent. They are somewhat similar
> > to .o files. They contain the run time library for the language,
> > compiled to native windows object files. If you want to compile your own
> > program with them afterwards, they are linked together into a windows
> > executable.
> >
> > You could argue that they should belong in a -devel package. But since
> > this package is a compiler, we decided not to split it up into a devel
> > package and a non-devel package. As that would be pointless, as one will
> > not work without the other.
> >

> They should follow mingw's footsteps, shouldn't they?
>
> /usr/i686-pc-mingw32/sys-root/mingw/lib
> equals

/usr/x86_64-pc-fpc/sys-root/fpc/lib

That's an idea, but then we would be incompatible with upstream. I can
try to patch the configuration files of fpc so that it searches for
these binaries in /usr/x86_64-pc-fpc/sys-root/fpc/lib. But I prefer the
'standard' location. Also because other packages based in fpc relay on
that.

And what I've read here is that this path is chosen because mingw needs
a root filesystem location. Fpc does not need that, so I think I keep
the default locations, if that's ok.

Regards,

Joost.