Introduction to a new SIG for creation of Live DVD

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Sun Sep 13 19:33:31 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 6:53 PM, Nicolas Mailhot
<nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:

> Le 13/09/2009 20:29, Kevin Kofler a écrit :
>>
>> The DVD size would allow us to include more stuff,
>> like translations (kde-l10n-*, those are fairly huge and there are many
>> supported languages), input method support (the current GNOME live CDs
>> include that, but we weren't able to fit it on the KDE ones), additional
>> applications (there are plenty of nice KDE apps, and we might also
>> consider
>> including stuff like OO.o), maybe upstream wallpapers (not as the default,
>> but as options). We've found the CD size to be very limiting.
>
> Well, the CD does not include most of the fonts we package. Not enough fonts
> is a recurrent user complaint (was moded up +5 insightful several times
> again when /. posted its “why users reject FLOSS apps” article). So I'd
> expect desktop livecds to address this.

I think the cleanest way to fix this is to have a post-installation
program for the Live CD image which offers to "Complete your
installation?" and does the PackageKit equivalent of yum groupinstall
<corresponding comps  group>.  (This is another reason why the
kickstart files should only be subtraction-for-space from a comps
group). The Live CD should basically be enough to bootstrap and get a
good feel for the system and do basic tasks.

This also moves us much closer to having 1 defined set of things in
the "installation" instead of two wildly different things which is
really broken from a QA/marketing/etc. standpoint.