removal of dhcpv6 package from Fedora

J. Randall Owens jrowens.fedora at ghiapet.net
Sat Sep 19 01:43:57 UTC 2009

On 09/18/2009 06:22 PM, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Sep 2009, J. Randall Owens wrote:
>
>> On 09/18/2009 05:25 PM, David Cantrell wrote:
>>> If you do not care about IPv6, feel free to stop reading now.
>>>
>>> I would like to remove the dhcpv6 package from Fedora as the current
>>> dhcp
>>> package is now providing DHCPv6 protocol support for both the client,
>>> server,
>>> and relay.  ISC has finally surpassed what the dhcpv6 package was
>>> providing
>>> and, frankly, I have no desire to continue working on the dhcpv6 at this
>>> point.
>>>
>>> Does anyone care?  If not, I will be marking it as a dead.package per
>>> our
>>> package removal procedure.  The dhclient package will grow the necessary
>>> Provides/Obsoletes for the former dhcpv6-client package and the dhcp
>>> package
>>> will grow the necessary Provides/Obsoletes for the former dhcpv6
>>> package.
>
>> On a related note, I'd been meaning to inquire about and/or suggest
>> ways to get
>> ISC's dhcpd working for both IPv4 and IPv6 simultaneously.  Do you
>> have one way
>> or another of doing this yet?  That was the only thing that had me
>> using dhcp6s
>> for a short time.
>
> Unfortunately, no.  Like dhclient, dhcpd can only operate as a DHCP
> (protocol)
> or DHCPv6 (protocol) server.  It can't operate as both at the same
> time.  To
> use both with dhcpd, just run two instances.  This is the recommendation
> from
> ISC at the moment.  The dhcpd architecture needs a lot of changes before
> both
> protocols can be supported by a single daemon.

Well, I'll offer up my solution, then, if you want to integrate it.  Aside from
the obvious step of creating a separate /etc/dhcp/dhcpd6.conf (or similar dhcpd
+ 6 combination), /etc/rc.d/init.d/dhcpd6, and /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd6, I created
/usr/sbin/dhcpd6 as a symlink to dhcpd, so that the init.d functions can keep
straight which dhcpd is which.  I put -6 in the arguments of the init.d script;
I know someone else put it in the sysconfig DHCPDARGS (or DHCPD6ARGS as I called
it).  Either way seems to work pretty well, if you want to make it capable of
running both ways from an only-slightly modified install.  Alternatively, you
could make a small subpackage for the IPv6 setup.

- --
J. Randall Owens | http://www.ghiapet.net/
ProofReading Markup Language | http://prml.sourceforge.net/