yum-presto not on by default

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Thu Sep 24 22:35:51 UTC 2009

On 09-09-24 16:25:46, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-09-24 at 16:22 -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:
>
> > I don't consider the single command a
> > significant barrier, either way.
>
> Maybe not for people who maintain yum...

Most CLI users will be fine, but innocent GUI users would benefit from
a hint in the PackageKit GUI, if one could be added.  How about a
checkbox "Delta-RPMS", with text in a mouse-hover:  checked "updates
use less bandwidth but are slower to install"; unchecked "updates use
more bandwidth but are faster to install".  If yum-presto isn't
installed, dim the checkbox and have the mouse-hover suggest installing
yum-presto for smaller downloads.

Of course, if nightly automatic updates are being done, the time won't
matter.

I do wish more of the updates were delta'd.  Today I had 81 MB total
size, which became 17 MB delta-RPMs (for 45 MB rebuilt) plus 36 MB
regular, for a total of 53 MB, a savings of about 1/3.  (Not that it
matters here; I have DSL.)