dhclient and dhcp update require restart?

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Sep 1 22:39:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Matthew
Woehlke<mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> No, the easiest method is:
>
> "The following updates require their respective services to be restarted for
> the updates to take effect. <List of services.> Proceed? [Yes] [No]"

I don't think it makes sense to treat everything that presently has an
/etc/init.d script equally.  For example, if cupsd has no queue, it's
probably safe for it to just restart itself at some period of time.
Probably the easiest way to implement this would be a flag in the init
script which says whether it's safe to "service restart" on updates.

For other things, an important question is whether the currently
running desktop depends on it.  If it does, it's not safe to have such
a UI.