Triggers just to avoid unowned directories?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 08:21:48 UTC 2009

On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 15:13:25 -0700, Jesse wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-09-01 at 17:44 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Multi-ownership seems *far* preferable to me than using triggers to
> > move files around, or moving a prelink-specific directory to the base
> > filesystem package.
>
> Then the guidelines should be fixed to create less confusion over the
> matter.

Hear, hear!  Really, it's the guidelines that make reviewers and packagers
come up with strange "solutions" such as these use of triggers.

Other packagers find themselves in a trap and create package dependency
bloat just to get the dir ownership "right". Even if they are unhappy with
the result.

E.g. seahorse-plugins requires gedit and epiphany. Hard to believe, but
it's true. :-/