Directory draft (was Re: Triggers just to avoid unowned directories?)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 16:12:20 UTC 2009

On 09/02/2009 08:47 AM, Bill Nottingham wrote:

>>> Then the guidelines should be fixed to create less confusion over the
>>> matter.
>>>
>> Another precedence is with bash-completion -- the consensus is for
>> packages that provide completion scripts to own /etc/bash_completion.d
>
> OK, I've written up the following, which should be more clear:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BillNottingham/DirectoryDraft

Section 1.3 Optional functoinality is a special case of Section 1.5
Common directory without one requiring the other.  I'd combine them like
this:

"""
Multiple packages have files in a common directory but none of them
needs to require the others.

An example:

  bash-completion owns the /etc/bash_completion.d directory and uses the
files placed in there to configure itself

  git places files into /etc/bash_completion.d
  bzr places files into /etc/bash_completion.d

Solution: Both the git and bzr packages should own the
/etc/bash_completion.d directory as bash-completion is optional
functionality and the installation of git or bzr should not force the
installation of bash-completion.
"""

And one more idea to throw out there: How sacred is filesystem?  How
costly are adding new directories to it?  For something like
/etc/prelink.conf.d, adding to filesystem seems like the preferred
option.  If there's little cost involved, adding to filesystem for
things like /etc/bash_completion.d also seems like the preferred
solution.  If there's no reason we shouldn't be expanding filesystem,
I'd list that as an option in the directory draft as well.

-Toshio