static linking and LGPL libraries

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri Sep 4 07:10:53 UTC 2009

On 09/03/2009 09:22 PM, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On 09/03/2009 02:25 PM, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Note that we have the same problem with any package which does static
>> linking against an lgpl library (such as glibc).
>
> This is (one of the big reasons) why we only permit static linking with
> explicit approval from FESCo.

Still we do allow it for certain packages and every such package has the
potential LGPL problem Notting described. I personally think it would
be a good idea to include root.log inside the srpm of packages, this
way people can truely use their GPL rights and exactly re-create the
package by using all the same packages in a chroot as used during the
original build.

Regards,

Hans