GCC var-tracking-assignments: testing and bug reports appreciated

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Thu Sep 10 11:43:26 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 07:32:07AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> >Why are you backporting something like this from a non-released compiler
> >into F12 _after_ Alpha and particularly _after_ the mass rebuild?
>
> No response?  None?
>
> I mean, I'm not asking for much.  All I want is an explanation as to why
> this _has_ to be in F12 and can't be rolled into F13 instead.  At first
> glance, it would make more sense to let the feature get some testing in
> GCC mainline before we just backport it to Fedora users, so putting it
> in F13 seems better to me.

Because we really want it in F12, to make e.g. systemtap usable. It got
quite a lot of testing already and has been in development for 2 years.
Originally it was expected to be merged early in the summer, testing
rawhide gccs have been prepared already in early August.

There were so far 3 bugreports related to this, 2 of them are already fixed,
LLVM build is just needing too much memory on completely insane source
(people calling functions with 1375 arguments, 685 out of it are classes
with non-trivial ctors passed by value, deserve some punishment) and Alex
will look at it today.

	Jakub