how to become a co-maintainer for an _existing_ RPM pkg

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Fri Sep 11 17:35:44 UTC 2009

SSF> Hi, I would like to become a co-maintainer for an _existing_ RPM
SSF> package.

I assume you're posting this because you're not already sponsored;
otherwise you could just add yourself to the package in pkgdb and have
the current maintainer approve your request.

SSF> What do I have to do? Find a sponsor for an _existing_ RPM package?

You have to find a sponsor in any case, and while sponsors have
significant latitude in choosing people to sponsor, this will generally
involve illustrating that you understand packaging and that you're
generally committed to volunteering the time necessary to properly
maintain packages in the distribution.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_get_sponsored_into_the_packager_group
has some additional information.

Of course, hearing from the existing maintainer of the package could
help.  If you are the upstream author of the package, that also helps.
But if you're not already involved with Fedora in some way, folks will
want to see some actual packaging or reviewing work.

 - J<