Possible package...

Nathanael Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Sat Sep 12 05:45:06 UTC 2009

On Sep 11, 2009, at 7:03 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Ben Boeckel wrote:
>> Looking through the code, it looks like the #ifndef stuff for
>> things called "extensive hacks" could cause some issues, but
>> that's a cursory glance at it. I'm also not sure what to make of
>> the patches for Qt in its repository. If they're serious
>> patches, they should clone Qt on Gitorious and create merge
>> requests. Fedora's Qt probably won't ship with them without some
>> oversight that they aren't breaking things.
>
> At least part of their patches look like really awful hacks, e.g.
> they're
> making some of QtGui work without X11 to support their stuff being
> used in
> text mode despite using QtWebKit (which is normally a GUI
> component). Some
> of the patches also appear to break ABI compatibility.
>
> This really needs to be made to work with unmodified upstream Qt
> (even if it
> means requiring an active X11 session). Some of the patches might be
> upstreamable, with or without additional required fixes (like
> maintaining
> binary compatibility), but others are just plain "no go"s.

Yeah, I saw their patches, but didn't look at any of the actual code.
Since I know you are an avid KDE/Qt consumer, perhaps I can ask you
for some information about this program and if a better way to
accomplish what it is doing exists.

I write web apps, often I want to provide a pdf output of the nicely
designed / styled html. This becomes difficult because I'm writing
from the webserver's perspective, not a browser/rendering engine. This
solves the problem very nicely for me in that it lets a rendering
engine have a go at the html and then outputs the pdf. It works
wonderfully in my tests. Obviously they are using the webkit/qt
bindings to do this. Would there be a way to use those without the qt
hacks they are introducing?

If so I don't mind getting my hands dirty to look, my C/C++ skills are
a bit rusty but I've always enjoyed it, and this is an itch I've been
trying to scratch for a couple years now. So would feel great if it
could be solved and become part of fedora.