Introduction to a new SIG for creation of Live DVD

Aditya Patawari aditya at adityapatawari.com
Tue Sep 15 15:47:42 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <
dominik at greysector.net> wrote:

>  What do you mean when you say it "will only clutter the space"?

By this I mean to say that if we give 4 gb pre-installed stuff then menu and
workspace will be too cluttered. It will be hard to find the application you
want to work upon.

> It will be on
> the DVD anyway, either preinstalled or as RPMs.

Yes, It will be on DVD but uninstalled packages will not show on main menu.

> What makes you say it will
> confuse the user? Have you actually tried giving users two DVDs, one with
> software preinstalled and one with RPMs in local repo and asking which they
> find less confusing or are you just guessing?

A few months ago a local LUG here created a custom Live DVD from a
mainstream Linux (wasn't fedora). The size was about 2gb. Although regular
users managed but feedback from newbies wasn't so positive regarding the
overall ease of use.

--
Aditya Patawari
Join Live DVD SIG : https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/LiveDVD