Mouse pointer freezing in f12 and f11

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Tue Sep 15 13:42:53 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 19:29 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> I've had a problem with X in f12 or some time that sees the mouse
> pointer freezing.  I'm now having the same issue in f11.
>
> I'm happy to file a bug in bugzilla, but I'm hoping someone mught be
> able to point me in the right direction.
>
> After some time after running X the mouse pointer will freeze.
> Switching to a VT doesn't help, but I can use the keyboard to close apps
> and do a little navigation.  Also pushing the power button will see a
> dialog to allow me to shutdown, suspend, etc.  I can suspend and resume
> and this fixes the problem.
>
> I'm not however convinced that it's an X bug.  I think it might be
> related to bluetooth (I believe that my mouse and keyboard have
> something to do with bluetooth on this laptop) and that the suspend
> resume cycle restarts bluetooth and fixes the problem.

You could verify this with "DISPLAY=:0 xinput list" when the mouse
pointer stops.  If you don't see the bluetooth mouse in the list, then
the kernel is refusing to re-plug it right.  If you _do_ see the mouse
in the list, then X is confused somewhere.

Does keyboard navigation still work when this happens?  Does alt-tab
switch windows, etc.

- ajax