Deltarpm xz problem with PPC generated rpms?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Sep 15 17:38:32 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 01:27 -0400, Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >
> > Boy, I'm so glad we decided to jump onto the xz ship.
> >
> I take it it's too late to back out and stick to bzip2 until the
> situation stabilizes? I take it whatever solution ends up in F-12 is
> likely to be the one used by RHEL 6 when it comes out next spring.
>
> Between using more space on a distribution that's smaller than Fedora
> anyway, and having a rather uncertain compression tool...

It's only 'uncertain' in the sense that it's not committed to always
producing the same archive in future versions or on different
architectures. As has been pointed out, this only has any relevance when
it comes to delta RPMs, which are hardly a vital case (it's not
catastrophic if they don't work). There's no suggestion that the tool is
'uncertain' in any more important sense (i.e. it doesn't actually
compress / decompress properly). It isn't.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey