Default heuristics for variable-format displays

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Tue Sep 15 18:47:00 UTC 2009

> I know that, in the dinosaur days of CRT, I could 'see' flicker (and get
> flicker-generated headaches) at anything under 80Hz, and I know there
> are even more sensitive people than that. So 72Hz may be a bit of a low
> 'safe refresh rate' cutoff. I'd like it to be 80 at least. 72/75 were
> better than 65 for me, but definitely not acceptable for long-term work.

The struggle here is that you may not actually have any modes in the
pool with refresh rates that high.  I'm remembering 72Hz as some OSHA
recommendation but I'm not able to find a reference to it quickly.  Both
the EU and EnergyStar seem to indicate that CRTs should be measured for
power at the largest resolution supported at 75Hz, but that's a power
recommendation, not an ergonomic one.

There's also a (rather small) power usage argument here.  Higher refresh
rates require more memory bandwidth, which means more memory cycles,
which means more power draw.  It's linear on number of pixels, but the
coefficient is pretty low, so maybe it's not worth worrying about.

I suppose you could successively run the filter() step in the given
algorithm until you get a non-empty list.  Nggh though.

- ajax