status of forked zlibs in rsync and zsync

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 15:47:47 UTC 2009

On 09/16/2009 08:39 AM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 08:10 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> This is a logical leap.  rsync has forked zlib but they are only using
>> the fork internally.  2 and 3 get that fork out in the open so that
>> more
>> than one program can use it.  2 and 3 are solutions when solution 1
>> fails.  Since solution 1 has failed, 2 and 3 become *relevant*, not
>> moot.
>
> I beg your pardon, but how are rsync and zsync supposed to use upstream
> zlib (points 2,3) if the upstream lib does not have the features they
> need ???

Ah -- I was reading that as three separate options.  I can see how it
could be read as three steps in a single solution as well.

That still leaves open the question of why no one has asked rsync
upstream to make their fork publicly available instead of hoarding it as
a private, internal copy.

-Toshio