Script to detect conflicting files in PATH within a yum repo (was Re: conflict between libotf and openmpi)

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 09:27:14 UTC 2009

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 21:10:16 -0400, Neal wrote:

> But the original problem was a file level conflict.

I've been reporting file level conflicts for a long time (with
a script on my fedorapeople page which is lacking automatic multilib
support, however), but the openmpi/libotf conflict has been reported
independently at least once: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/496131

Meanwhile the autoqa project is creating file level conflicts reports,
too: https://fedorahosted.org/pipermail/autoqa-results/2009-September/thread.html

> Is it ever valid for 2
> packages to own the same file?

If their checksums are the same, yes, RPM won't complain.

One could apply the existing packaging guidelines to this case, however:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Duplicate_Files

There would need to be a good reason for two packages to include the
same file - instead of doing this via a shared package dependency.