Possible packages...

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Sep 17 16:22:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 09:52 +0200, Rudolf Kastl wrote:

> >> PS3MediaServer. A Java program to talk to a PS3 with DLNA. I'm
> >> guessing this one would have problems because it requires ffmpeg or
> >> mplayer/mencoder... Plus as a java program its probably a bit more
> >> complex to create a proper spec file for. I've made the other kind
> >> often enough, but java ones not so much...
> >
> > There's a sort of 'agreed-upon-right-way-of-doing-this' candidate for
> > this particular need, which is a nice modern GTK+ app and based on
> > gstreamer...but I can't quite pull the name out of long-term storage at
> > present. Someone will probably know what I mean, though. The one most
> > people use (as the one I'm talking about is still a bit alpha) is
> > mediatomb, which is also in Fedora already. Unless this provides
> > something significant the other options don't, it may not be the best
> > place to start, since it looks a bit complex.
>
> ps3mediaservers biggest improvement/enhancement is the ability to
> transcode video files on the fly.

Since I wrote the message quoted by Rudolf, I remembered the name of the
app I was trying to think of: Rygel - http://live.gnome.org/Rygel

aside from that, the 'market leader' is mediatomb, which I think we have
in Fedora or RPM Fusion already. It has been able to do transcoding for
a long time, and there's a big knowledge base out there on how to use
it. I'm not entirely sure adding another packaged
ps3-intended-UPNP-server would be a net win anywhere.

(unless ps3mediaserver's implementation of on-the-fly transcoding lets
you fast-forward and rewind. that'd be good. mediatomb can't do that.)

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey