Possible packages...

chasd chasd at silveroaks.com
Thu Sep 17 18:53:46 UTC 2009

Adam Williamson wrote:

> (My thinking is that probably there's going to be a fairly even split
> between those who want to use a calendaring system from a web front
> end
> and those who'd prefer to use it from a desktop app, and unless we
> cater
> to both groups, it won't really work; for a project-wide calendering
> project to have value, it needs wide buy-in, so you can really trust
> that you can go to the calendering system and see ALL important
> events,
> and to do that, you need to cover at least the most popular use
> cases).
>
> if we really can't find anything that does both, though, we'll
> probably
> wind up picking a system that only does one, as you suggest.

One way to look at this problem is to separate those that need
read-only access to a calendar from those that need both read
and write capability.

In our organization we have few that write to calendars,
but many that consume calendar data.

( We don't use free / busy at this time )

We use a WebDAV server with iCal, Evo, or Sunbird / Lightening
for calendar editors, and then have a PHP script create read-only views
for everyone else.

read-write contributors => desktop app
read-only consumers => web app

I acknowledge that the distributed nature of Fedora contributors
might mean making the distinction between the needs of read-only
users vs. read-write users a non-starter, but it is something to
consider.

--
Charles Dostale