Possible packages...

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Sep 17 19:23:45 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 13:53 -0500, chasd wrote:

> One way to look at this problem is to separate those that need
> read-only access to a calendar from those that need both read
> and write capability.
>
> In our organization we have few that write to calendars,
> but many that consume calendar data.
>
> ( We don't use free / busy at this time )
>
> We use a WebDAV server with iCal, Evo, or Sunbird / Lightening
> for calendar editors, and then have a PHP script create read-only
> for everyone else.
>
> read-write contributors => desktop app
> read-only consumers => web app
>
> I acknowledge that the distributed nature of Fedora contributors
> might mean making the distinction between the needs of read-only
> users vs. read-write users a non-starter, but it is something to
> consider.

Yeah, I think that's the fundamental problem here. If it's successful,
lots of people are going to need write access. The idea is basically
that all Fedora project groups will be able to have a calendar where
they can list all their events. The number of people who are going to
need write access in a successful calendar system is so large that using
a semi-hack job system isn't likely to work.

It's still an idea, though. but at this point we should probably be
discussing on infrastructure list, anyway.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey