Possible packages...

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 09:43:57 UTC 2009

2009/9/17 Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>:

>> > There's a sort of 'agreed-upon-right-way-of-doing-this' candidate for
>> > this particular need, which is a nice modern GTK+ app and based on
>> > gstreamer...but I can't quite pull the name out of long-term storage at
>> > present. Someone will probably know what I mean, though. The one most
>> > people use (as the one I'm talking about is still a bit alpha) is
>> > mediatomb, which is also in Fedora already. Unless this provides
>> > something significant the other options don't, it may not be the best
>> > place to start, since it looks a bit complex.
>>
>> ps3mediaservers biggest improvement/enhancement is the ability to
>> transcode video files on the fly.
>
> Since I wrote the message quoted by Rudolf, I remembered the name of the
> app I was trying to think of: Rygel - http://live.gnome.org/Rygel
>
> aside from that, the 'market leader' is mediatomb, which I think we have
> in Fedora or RPM Fusion already. It has been able to do transcoding for
> a long time, and there's a big knowledge base out there on how to use
> it. I'm not entirely sure adding another packaged
> ps3-intended-UPNP-server would be a net win anywhere.
>
> (unless ps3mediaserver's implementation of on-the-fly transcoding lets
> you fast-forward and rewind. that'd be good. mediatomb can't do that.)

no but it can use tsmuxer for just remuxing content if the video is
h264 but the container cant be read by the ps. alrough tsmuxer isnt
free enough (and it is bundled with ps3mediaserver) it would have to
go to rpmfusion anyways if you want to have it around fully featured.
Forward and rewind doesent work either but thats probably none of the
streaming backends in use can do it (mencoder vlc etc).

kind regards,
Rudolf Kastl