Changes in Finnish spell checking libraries for F-12

Ville-Pekka Vainio vpivaini at cs.helsinki.fi
Fri Sep 18 10:03:50 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've made quite big changes to some Finnish spell checking, hyphenation
and grammar checking libraries for F-12. I'll talk about them here in
case there's people on the list who are interested in this stuff.

Libvoikko is the main library for Finnish spell checking, hyphenation
and grammar checking. I've updated it to the current release candidate
of the 2.2 series. Malaga-suomi-voikko has the dictionary data for
Finnish used by libvoikko and I've updated it to the current release
candidate of the 1.4 series.

The biggest technical change is that the previous versions of libvoikko
needed libmalaga. Libmalaga is pretty much dead upstream and it has some
problems, for example, it's not properly namespaced, which can cause
symbol conflicts such as https://bugzilla.redhat.com/502546

Libvoikko 2.2 has its own internal implementation of the malaga
functionality it needs, written in C++. This means the dependency to
libmalaga has been dropped, but now libmalaga depends on glib2 for some
string handling functions. Dropping libmalaga decreases the size of the
packages needed for Finnish spell checking and should improve the
quality of the code, maybe also performance a bit.

The malaga binaries are still needed for building the dictionary data in
malaga-suomi-voikko, but now they should be the only binaries in Fedora
which link to libmalaga and the chances of hitting a symbol conflict or
some other problem should be a lot lower. I'll keep malaga in Fedora as
long as it's usable and needed.

If there are people on this list who know Finnish and are interested in
testing, these are the things you should maybe keep an eye on:

- The libmalaga package should not be in a fresh Rawhide install
  anymore, even when installing the "DVD set" of packages and the
  finnish-support group is installed.
- Nothing else than malaga should pull in libmalaga anymore (other than
  running yum-builddep on malaga-suomi-voikko, which pulls in malaga).
- There have been changes to spell checking and grammar checking
  suggestions, if you see any weird behavior there, make a bug report
  at http://voikko.sourceforge.net/

--
Ville-Pekka Vainio