Xinetd resurrection

Lorenzo Villani lvillani at binaryhelix.net
Sun Sep 20 17:40:49 UTC 2009

On 09/20/2009 06:28 PM, Steve Grubb wrote:

> Not at all. These days the only need for xinetd is in memory constrained
> systems. For mainline x86_64 bought with typically 4Gb of main memory, xinetd
> is a thing of the past. That's my point.

Well, I am probably part of that 0.000001% who would like some services
to start on-demand.
For example I don't print all the time and I prefer to have cups start
only when needed, then die instead of having it waiting for no real
purpose. Now, this is a case in which it doesn't make sense (you start
xinetd instead of cups for no real gain) but it can be useful with some
setups.

Even if I have a quad-core system with 4Gb of memory available I always
prefer to find a better use for it.

--
Lorenzo V.