Opinions on packaging ATLAS (for the x86 architecture)

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Fri Sep 25 15:01:33 UTC 2009

On Friday, 25 September 2009 at 16:50, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Deji Akingunola <dakingun at gmail.com> said:
> > I am trying to decide
> > which variant to provide as the default one that would be picked to
> > satisfy atlas library dependency out of the following 2 possibilities;
>
> Isn't there a way to have run-time choosing of which variant to use,
> based on running CPU functionality?  I know glibc (or is it ld.so) can
> do some level of load-time choosing of optimized libraries based on CPU
> features.

There is, but it's not documented. AFAIR, Fedora's glibc does not make
use of libraries placed in %{_libdir}/{sse,sse2} automatically (which
would solve 2/3rds of this problem), but does make use of libraries
placed in %{_libdir}/i686, which doesn't solve our problem at all.

IIRC, Debian's glibc does use sse and sse2 subdirectories. Maybe our
glibc could be patched to do that as well.

Regards,
R.

"Faith manages."