yum-presto not on by default

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 17:48:19 UTC 2009

On 9/25/2009 1:00 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 12:43 -0400, David Boles wrote:
>
>> 'lurker mode off'
>>
>> Comment from a 'lurker'
>>
>> You developers and all do a fine job with this.
>>
>> *But* you all seem to have the same wrong idea about *most* regular
>> Linux users. At least the ones that I see on the help lists.
>>
>> *Almost none of them read that darn DOCs.* Nor do they read the release
>> Notes. Nor do they read the FAQ's. Nor do they read they Known Problems.
>
> That's, um, pretty much what I was saying.
>
>> Really? They don't read the instructions and hints *before* they destroy
>> their working systems with an update? Or with a release upgrade?
>>
>> Really? Not the Newbies? Not the 'I think that I am an Expert' people?
>> Not the 'I have much Linux experience' people? Really? Sure. Just follow
>> the questions asked when something well written about pops up as a
>> *surprise*.  <sigh>
>
> I know this.
>
> It is, however, fair to point out that you're using an inherently skewed
> sample - "the ones that I see on the help lists'. All other things being
> equal, the people who bother to read the documentation naturally show up
> far less often on help lists. =)

Agreed.

So how do you get those 'others' to read the instructions? Linux used to
basically require that you do that. Things had to be found in the system
and then configured by hand.

In the rush to make things auto-magic, which is not a bad thing IMO,
when something does not 'just work' users are lost. They seem to have
forgotten how to read. Or perhaps comprehend what they read.

And those users will always be Linux's bane.
--

  David