yum-presto not on by default

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Sep 25 19:08:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 5:55 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:

> Wouldn't you rather lead the other distributions who already have that
> project goal?  Let us lead, invent, whatever you want to call it.  Let
> them refine and present to the 'ordinary people'.  Let us play to our
> strengths, let them play to theirs.  We win, they win, users win.

I don't think that works; in general doing infrastructure work without
reference to a user experience is going to result in a big mismatch
between the desired UI and what's available.

In this particular case it seems to me we want it to be a dynamic
property; e.g. if I start an update while on my mobile broadband card,
suspend in the middle of downloading, go to an office where I have a
local mirror, well ideally I'd be able to check a box in the UI to
toggle it (if it really mattered), or even better the system would use
some heuristics.

But obviously, you can't disable delta compression by doing a "yum
remove" in the middle of your download...