yum-presto not on by default

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Sep 26 04:50:36 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 19:08 +0000, Colin Walters wrote:

> In this particular case it seems to me we want it to be a dynamic
> property; e.g. if I start an update while on my mobile broadband card,
> suspend in the middle of downloading, go to an office where I have a
> local mirror, well ideally I'd be able to check a box in the UI to
> toggle it (if it really mattered), or even better the system would use
> some heuristics.

I really think that, if we make the trivial fix to use a lower
compression level, there's really few scenarios in which it's worthwhile
not to use deltas. Even where your CPU is sufficiently slow or your
network connection sufficiently blindingly fast that it's a benefit,
it's going to be a fairly small one at that point (even with the
_current_ compression level, my laptop's weedy Atom CPU's delta
rebuilding speed equates to a download speed of over 1Mb/sec; the
numbers get a lot better if we fix the compression level). And even when
using network bandwidth is faster, that doesn't necessarily mean it's
preferred (if, for instance, you're running into bandwidth caps - which
is a real concern for some users. Ask an Australian.)

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey