yum-presto not on by default

nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sat Sep 26 09:08:23 UTC 2009

> On Fri, 25 Sep 2009, Alexander Boström wrote:
>
>> tor 2009-09-24 klockan 16:31 -0400 skrev Seth Vidal:
>>
>> > We're a bleeding edge distro - that's our VAUNTED mission - shouldn't
>> we
>> > be able to assume that users of a BLEEDING EDGE, LATEST PACKAGE distro
>> be
>> > able to run a single command?
>>
>> Though Fedora currently might not currently be an optimal "just works"
>> experience, I think that should be the design goal. I want ordinary
>> people to be able to use free software. (And not just use.)
>>

> Wouldn't you rather lead the other distributions who already have that
> project goal?  Let us lead, invent, whatever you want to call it.  Let
> them refine and present to the 'ordinary people'.  Let us play to our
> strengths, let them play to theirs.  We win, they win, users win.

IMHO RHL/Fedora has always been targeting a "just works" experience and
that should stay the goal. Note that this is very different from targeting
"ordinary people" as "ordinary people" are too often taken as a synonym
for "not you, if you can use bugzilla you're not in the target audience"
and as a pretext for coders to do whatever they want without having to
justify themselves or process bug reports.

I had a very unpleasant example of such sophistry (you're not the target
audience, the target audience supports me, and I have nothing to show for
it, because if I did, it wouldn't be the target audience) recently.

The gold standard should stay "an argument needs to be justified
technically, if you can't argue for it on technical grounds, do not drag
mythical target audience in the debate". That's the only way to make
objective assessments. And if you don't strive to stay objective, you'll
just create a rotten from the core community

--
Nicolas Mailhot