Thunderbird 3.0pre?

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Tue Sep 29 08:05:51 UTC 2009

Mail Lists, Sun, 27 Sep 2009 11:23:11 -0400:
>> You might want to delete your .thunderbird directory and try again.
>>
>  Im happy for you. For what its worth, I have several accounts too - not
> just many mail folders.

My experience is that it is better to run IMAP server on localhost and
store all messages there ... emails are too valuable thing to be given to
pre-release code. Anyway ...

>  It did not work for me - whilst the vanilla 3.0pre version works fine -
> witrhout deleting anything.

I would love to see a bug report for this with a backtrace of thunderbird
when it is in 100% CPU state. So, please:

1) install all -debuginfo packages (debuginfo-install thunderbird is your
friend),
2) start TB,
3) open gnome-terminal (or whatever terminal emulator you use in X) and
when TB goes to 100% CPU, you will have hopefully at least enough juice
to Alt+TAB to the terminal and run

gdb --pid=$(/sbin/pidof thunderbird-bin)

(you can have it prepared on the command line, so you just run Alt+TAB
and Enter)

4) when you finally get gdb prompt, run command

thread apply all backtrace

5) you get many screens of stuff, please, copy it into a new bug report
against Thunderbird component on bugzilla.redhat.com.

Thank you,

Matěj