Buyer Beware: A Major Change in NFS is about to happen

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Sep 29 23:52:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009, Steve Dickson wrote:

> On 09/29/2009 07:16 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> >> Not a problem... I want to and will work closely with FESCo to make
> >> sure we know all the ins and outs of this change... believe me my
> >> slate is cleared for few weeks to be as responsive as possible
> >> for this new feature... In the end this will be a good thing...
> > [...snip...]
> >
> > I want to be perfectly clear that I'm not sounding an "all clear" on
> > this by any means.  If your answer here means that this change hasn't
> > been thoroughly tested, you're going to have a hard time convincing
> > anyone that it should be turning over on Beta freeze day.
> >
> By no means did I interpret that at all... but here lies the
> problem... I had no idea I would  have to convenience *anybody*
> of *anything* because I thought I made the dead line... again all
> following was the schedule in:
>         http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/372823-all-features-need-100-beta-freeze-2009-09-29-a.html
>
> And Today I am %100 finished... Please point out which part of that
> did I misinterpret, because the last thing I want to do is cause problems...

Because we do seem to fight this problem every release.  Was anyone else
confused about when the deadline was?  It seems very clear to me, on
several occasions, when features needed to be in by.

What more could we have done to make this more clear?  I understand what
that one email says, but there's several others that clarify.

	-Mike