[KDE] Which Phonon? Phonon backend - GStreamer or Xine?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Sep 30 17:11:36 UTC 2009

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> So I think it would make a lot of sense to switch to make our distro
> Gst-only asap. Eventually this move will have to happen anyway.

Uh, I have to disagree there. It is not our job as distribution packagers to
dictate to upstream developers what multimedia library they use. If an
upstream project XYZ requires e.g. libnobody-else-uses-me (fictional name)
for multimedia and XYZ is worth packaging, we'll want libnobody-else-uses-me
packaged too. At best we can try to get mainstream applications ported to a
common framework (like we did for spellchecking (hunspell), in fact I set up
KDE to use hunspell everywhere, but there are still quite some niche apps
outside of GNOME and KDE using aspell), but even that doesn't always make
sense: for example, the crypto consolidation (NSS) is just not working
(OpenSSL is the de-facto standard upstream projects are used to work with
and many still support only that) and suggesting all GUI apps to
"standardize on GTK+" would be a complete no-go.

        Kevin Kofler