RFE: Never, ever steal focus.

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 6 17:23:31 UTC 2010

Quoting Adam Jackson (ajax at redhat.com):
> On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 11:36 -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > On 1/6/10 11:07 AM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > > PGA.
> > >
> > > Here's the challenge.  To reply to this mail, I hit control-shift-r in
> > > one evo window, and evo opened a new window for me to compose into.  Get
> > > it?  I typed into one window, and then started typing into another, and
> > > that's exactly what was desired.  If the window manager suppressed focus
> > > changes on the basis of "you were just typing into some other window,
> > > this must be a focus steal", then the new compose window would have
> > > mapped unfocused, and I'd have to have alt-tabbed to get to it.
> > >
> > > So if you can come up with an algorithm that can reliably classify focus
> > > change requests as "stealing" or not, then great.
> >
> > I'd go with "don't let a different app steal focus". Windows for the
> > same currently focused app are allowed to. This works pretty well under
> > Mac OS X. Might depend on some of the stuff being done by the
> > gnome-shell folks though, to be able to group windows together as
> > belonging to the same process/application to be able to do it Right
> > under a Linux DE...
>
> Now make that work for the (not uncommon) case of clicking a link in evo
> or control-clicking one in gnome-terminal and expecting firefox to pop
> forward with that page.

And now make that work for the case where firefox decides to take 10
secs to start up, so you start in another window, then firefox jumps
up and grabs focus.  Thanks.

There is no case where I want a new window or popup to take focus.  Makes
for an easy algorithm.  (hitting r in mutt is not a problem :)

-serge