RFE: Never, ever steal focus.

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 14:56:12 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 3:29 AM, Tomas Mraz <tmraz at redhat.com> wrote:

... snip ...

> The problem is that the "automatic focus change only when intended by
> user" will never be done 100% correctly. This is just impossible to do.
>
> So the actual better user experience case would be to always require the
> user to press some (easy) key combination to transfer the focus from the
> currently focused window. The user would quickly learn it.

You wouldn't need a 'new' (easy) key combination... your window manager
already
defines a way to 'set focus'

> Then the problem shifts to whether the newly created windows should be
> opened in the background or not.

... snip ...

Thank you...
There is a big difference between auto-raise, and auto-focus.

I would complain about auto-focus on pop-ups (that should be my
configuration choice)
but auto-raise isn't (as) anoying.  Its a visual distraction, but then
again, thats why
its called a 'popup', but at least it didn't cause me to type the wrong
thing into
the wrong window.