Mono.Cecil & monodevelop-debugger-mdb

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Jan 2 06:04:12 UTC 2010

Jud Craft wrote:
> Shouldn't Fedora take upstream's design into account?  It's their
> software, after all.

It's our policy not to bundle system libraries. We're not the only ones,
Debian also has such a policy. Bundling libraries in applications sucks in a
distribution, the library which is part of the distribution should be used.

An additional problem is that the bundled .dlls are generally bundled as
binaries. Software in Fedora must be built from source. (And there too,
Debian also has such a policy.)

> And doesn't Java work in a similar way?

Yes, unfortunately, bundling .jars is commonplace in upstream Java software,
we always rm -f all the bundled .jar files in %prep and we even have a
scriptlet snippet which runs find over the build tree to delete all bundled
.jar files. All .jar files MUST be built from source as separate packages.

> You can't expect everyone to change their software design to work for
> Fedora, even if it has disadvantages.

We do expect that, sorry. Bundling libraries is not a solution, fixing the
library not to break its ABI/API every couple days is.

It just plain sucks to ship several different versions of the same library
in a distribution.

        Kevin Kofler