Can some provenpackager bump openvpn in EL-5

Jon Ciesla limb at jcomserv.net
Mon Jan 4 13:49:59 UTC 2010

Jussi Lehtola wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-30 at 16:35 +0530, Huzaifa Sidhpurwala wrote:
>
>> Jussi Lehtola wrote:
>>
>>> Even though any proven packager could do the change, that bug does not
>>> fall in the items listed in the proven packager policy [1]. You haven't
>>> listed any problems with the current package, you're just requesting a
>>> version upgrade.
>>>

>> The version of openvpn in EPEL is an upstream rc version.
>> The Changelog file upstream shows a lot of bugs have been fixed and it
>> would be nice to have it fixed in EPEL too.
>>

> OK, that's starting to sound better.
>

>>> Version upgrades should be performed by the package maintainer. This
>>> especially holds in EPEL, which should be a slowly moving distribution.
>>>

>> In this case the bz is around 2.5 weeks old, with absolutely  no response.
>> What is the policy to get the package updated in this case?
>>

> See the nonresponsive maintainer policy at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Policy_for_nonresponsive_package_maintainers

Actually, FYI, I'm a provenpackager and have recently contacted the
openvpn maintainer.  There are quite a few open bugs, including yours,
and I requested his approval to take a look at the open bugs and make
changes, updates, etc, and he gave me the green light.  I'll try to get
to this this week.

Essentially, he's not been doing much with Fedora lately due to Real
Life intervening, which I can certainly understand.

-J

--
in your fear, seek only peace
in your fear, seek only love