Our static Libraries packaging guidelines once more

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jan 5 17:49:49 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 10:38:50AM -0700, Jerry James wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
> > That sounds good as long as AutoQA is reliable, not generating false
> > positives. I'd still also suggest that we have a rule drop all
> > packages reported by the FTBFS tests which aren't fixed by time of
> > Beta.
>
> What about packages that fail to build because they depend on some
> other package that is broken?  I've got one in that state now.  It
> fails to build from source because one of its BuildRequires is broken.
>  There's nothing wrong with my package.  Once the other guy fixes his,
> mine will magically start building again.  If the other guy hasn't
> fixed his package by Beta, how is dropping mine going to help?

It will motivate you, or someone else depending on it, to become a
co-maintainer of the broken package & help with fixing it ;-P In
all seriousness though, it is very bad if we're having many of cases
of large sets of downstream package chains being blocked by an dependant
one failing. If a security issue arises in the FTBFS package we're
between a rock & a hard place, which is why I think it is worth being
strict on fixing FTBFS bugs.

Regards,
Daniel