Our static Libraries packaging guidelines once more

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Tue Jan 5 21:20:27 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 11:48:47AM -0500, Tom spot Callaway wrote:
> On 01/05/2010 11:30 AM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 11:03 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> On the other hand, with the
> >> guideline being so widely ignored, I'm not in a hurry to do work to
> >> comply with it ...
> >
> > Isn't that a chicken/egg problem?
>
> It really is. I mean, we could create the "Packaging Police" to run
> around and enforce the guidelines by force (either by fixing them
> manually, or by threatening maintainers until they do it), but is that
> really what we want?

I would skip the threatening part, but allowing provenpackagers to fix
violations to the packaging guidelines after a short notice to the
maintainers is something we should encourage imho. It just plain sucks
if there are bugs that can be fixed easily and may cause issues, but
it takes several weeks to be able to fix them oneself.

Regards
Till