RFE: Never, ever steal focus.

Jarod Wilson jarod at redhat.com
Wed Jan 6 16:36:50 UTC 2010

On 1/6/10 11:07 AM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 16:00 +0100, nodata wrote:
>> I'd like to suggest an enhancement for Fedora 13: nothing should ever
>> steal focus from the window I am typing in. If I am typing in a shell
>> window, or in a word processor, or an e-mail, nothing should ever take
>> keyboard focus away from that window.
>>
>> Clearly I'm missing something, otherwise we would have this, hence the
>> posting to the list :)
>
> PGA.
>
> Here's the challenge.  To reply to this mail, I hit control-shift-r in
> one evo window, and evo opened a new window for me to compose into.  Get
> it?  I typed into one window, and then started typing into another, and
> that's exactly what was desired.  If the window manager suppressed focus
> changes on the basis of "you were just typing into some other window,
> this must be a focus steal", then the new compose window would have
> mapped unfocused, and I'd have to have alt-tabbed to get to it.
>
> So if you can come up with an algorithm that can reliably classify focus
> change requests as "stealing" or not, then great.

I'd go with "don't let a different app steal focus". Windows for the
same currently focused app are allowed to. This works pretty well under
Mac OS X. Might depend on some of the stuff being done by the
gnome-shell folks though, to be able to group windows together as
belonging to the same process/application to be able to do it Right
under a Linux DE...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at redhat.com