RFE: Never, ever steal focus.

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Wed Jan 6 17:17:28 UTC 2010

On 06/01/10 17:00, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 11:36 -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> On 1/6/10 11:07 AM, Adam Jackson wrote:
>>> PGA.
>>>
>>> Here's the challenge.  To reply to this mail, I hit control-shift-r in
>>> one evo window, and evo opened a new window for me to compose into.  Get
>>> it?  I typed into one window, and then started typing into another, and
>>> that's exactly what was desired.  If the window manager suppressed focus
>>> changes on the basis of "you were just typing into some other window,
>>> this must be a focus steal", then the new compose window would have
>>> mapped unfocused, and I'd have to have alt-tabbed to get to it.
>>>
>>> So if you can come up with an algorithm that can reliably classify focus
>>> change requests as "stealing" or not, then great.
>>
>> I'd go with "don't let a different app steal focus". Windows for the
>> same currently focused app are allowed to. This works pretty well under
>> Mac OS X. Might depend on some of the stuff being done by the
>> gnome-shell folks though, to be able to group windows together as
>> belonging to the same process/application to be able to do it Right
>> under a Linux DE...
>
> Now make that work for the (not uncommon) case of clicking a link in evo
> or control-clicking one in gnome-terminal and expecting firefox to pop
> forward with that page.

There is one situation where the absolute of $SUBJECT is required:
password windows. I end up typing passwords wholly or partially into
other windows on a reasonably regular basis because of this.

Matt
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS

M:       +44 (0)7977 267231
GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490