RFE: Never, ever steal focus.

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Wed Jan 6 20:06:11 UTC 2010

On 01/06/2010 01:27 PM, Fulko Hew wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com
> <mailto:ajax at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 11:23 -0600, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
>      > Quoting Adam Jackson (ajax at redhat.com <mailto:ajax at redhat.com>):
>      > > On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 11:36 -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>      > > > I'd go with "don't let a different app steal focus". Windows
>     for the
>      > > > same currently focused app are allowed to. This works pretty
>     well under
>      > > > Mac OS X. Might depend on some of the stuff being done by the
>      > > > gnome-shell folks though, to be able to group windows together as
>      > > > belonging to the same process/application to be able to do it
>     Right
>      > > > under a Linux DE...
>      > >
>      > > Now make that work for the (not uncommon) case of clicking a
>     link in evo
>      > > or control-clicking one in gnome-terminal and expecting firefox
>     to pop
>      > > forward with that page.
>      >
>      > And now make that work for the case where firefox decides to take 10
>      > secs to start up, so you start in another window, then firefox jumps
>      > up and grabs focus.  Thanks.
>      >
>      > There is no case where I want a new window or popup to take
>     focus.  Makes
>      > for an easy algorithm.  (hitting r in mutt is not a problem :)
>
>     There is no case where _you_ want this, sure.
>

> I'd say... only take focus if its a child/creation of the window
> currently in focus.

Some people also do things like set EDITOR=gvim and set their mail
client to run $EDITOR when composing a message.

There are cases where many people do expect and even desire for pop-ups
to take focus, and they're not necessarily even crazy.

--
         Peter

Space, is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely
mindbogglingly big it is. I mean you may think it's a long way down the
road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.
		-- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy