Proposal: fedora-release-rawhide subpackage

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Thu Jan 7 14:24:05 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 08:47:09PM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> I'd like to propose splitting out
> the /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-rawhide.repo file into a
> fedora-release-rawhide subpackage which is NOT installed by default or
> shipped on the live media.
>
> I wrote up this using the Feature template, but I don't guess it's
> really that much of a feature:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/RawhideRepoSubpackage
>
> (except in that it needs coordination across the distro and docs
> updates, etc).
>
> Thoughts?

You propose that the repo should be enabled by default if the package is
installed. I don't like this. This make it a lot easier to break a
system with Rawhide, if one installs the repo file, e.g. only to be able
to easily download the src.rpm files with yumdownloader or to query it
with repoquery, but not to actually install the unsigned packages from
it. It will probably also auto break systems that just install everything,
which is also not nice.

Regards
Till