Proposal: fedora-release-rawhide subpackage

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Jan 7 21:00:25 UTC 2010

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 12:28:59 +0000
Mat Booth <fedora at matbooth.co.uk> wrote:

> You must do a lot more Fedora user support than I do; is it really a
> frequent occurrence that users unwittingly enable Rawhide and screw up
> their systems?
>
> Not a criticism, I'm just surprised it happens at all.

Yeah, I would say we get about 1 person a week or so in #fedora that
decided they wanted as many choices as possible, so they enabled every
repo file they had installed. I guess it's sometimes more, sometimes
less.

> Maybe the problem could be solved just by labelling it clearer,
> rawhide-development or something.

Currently it says:

# These packages are untested and still under development. This
# repository is used for development of new releases.
#
# This repository can see significant daily turnover and major
# functionality changes which cause unexpected problems with other
# development packages. Please use these packages if you want to work
# with the Fedora developers by testing these new development packages.
#
# fedora-test-list at redhat.com is available as a discussion forum for
# testing and troubleshooting for development packages in conjunction
# with new test releases.
#
# More information is available at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Testing
#
# Reproducible and reportable issues should be filed at
# http://bugzilla.redhat.com/.

However, the people who enable all repos (including source and
debuginfo) aren't the ones who would stop doing that after reading most
anything I don't think. They want everything enabled so they can have
the most choice/newest stuff, and then are very sad when they find out
they have to re-install to go back to the stable release.

kevin