RFE: Never, ever steal focus.

David Tardon dtardon at redhat.com
Fri Jan 8 06:10:26 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 03:17:45PM +0000, Zing wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 07:58:11 +0100, David Tardon wrote:
>

> >>  gconftool-2 -s -t string /apps/metacity/general/focus_new_windows
> >>  strict
>
> thanks for that...
>
> >> To be useful - when that's set, new windows never take focus away from
> >> a window that looks like a terminal window. (This is assuming the above
> >> opens a new window. If it changes an existing window, then
> >> "focus_new_windows" won't affect the behavior.)
> >>

> > Doesn't work. I set this, then started gedit from gnome-terminal. The
> > gedit window got focus.
>
> Are you sure you didn't have another gedit window open.  It seems to work
> as Owen mentioned (only if you don't have an existing window open)...
> it's so close to what I needed, unfortunately I always keep a browser
> open in the background.

Definitely not, I use gedit as a test application only. But I see what's
the problem now--it only works from freshly started terminal. So all the
terminals that were running at the moment I set focus_new_windows to
strict didn't pick that setting and continue to open new windows
focused. Isn't that a bug in gnome-terminal (or metacity)?

D.