[Fedora-directory-devel] Why I am here ?

T.J. Yang tj_yang at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 23 13:42:59 UTC 2005

>From: Rich Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com>
>To: "Fedora Directory server developer discussion."
><fedora-directory-devel at redhat.com>
>Subject: Re: [Fedora-directory-devel] Why I am here ?
>Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 07:14:54 -0600
>
>Firstly - welcome!
>
>T.J. Yang wrote:
>
>>To help and learn LDAP.
>>
>>To Help: create FDS 7.1 rpm,pkgadd and hp depot packages.
>
>Excellent.  We definitely need better native package support.

BUT ...

I have no  bandwidth to  write indvidual fds-7.1.spec package sources
or package source for Solaris and HP-UX package management system.

What I can offer is to use the TWW HPMS system I know to create
one software build  source(in xml) to build fds binary and one package build
source
for all three unix platforms to generate native packages.

later

tj

>>To Lean:  I heard it is possible to create a pure ldap authentication
>>environment. ie
>>                  any vaild user in a ldap server  can login into a
>>RH/Solaris box without adding an user
>>                  entry in local /etc/passwd file.
>>I was able to configure proftpd use ldap authentication, and wondering why
>>not sshd or telnetd ?
>
>If PAM supports it, it should work.

hmm, I remember I configured pam but in the end I need to insert
an user name from ldap server into /etc/passwd so that telnet or
ssh can work.

>>My last attempt ended with ldap guru saying it  is on ldap server side(it
>>need to support a RFCxxxx).
>>The goal is to escape NIS authentication and go to a ldap unix
>>environment.
>
>Was it RFC 2307?  This is the RFC that describes how LDAP can be used to
>replace NIS - the schema to support NIS clients.

Thanks. I will remember this number by heart now.