[Fedora-directory-devel] Using Apache httpd

Chen Shaopeng chen_shaopeng at idsignet.com
Wed Nov 2 00:39:49 UTC 2005

Brian Topping wrote:

> On Nov 1, 2005, at 1:04 AM, Chen Shaopeng wrote:
>
>> My goal is to develop web admin console, based on apache, to
>> replace the current combo of admin server and java admin
>> console.
>

> Once things are ported over to Apache, there won't be any need for a
> JRE embedded in the distribution.  I'm not sure of the details why
> Netscape needs this, but it has obvious implications for cross- platform
> compatibility.  Java is a very accessible and robust  platform for
> development, but the JRE needs are specialized per  installation.
> Tomcat uses the systemwide JRE for functionality, so  there is no
> technical need to replace Java in the system once things  are running
> with a standard Tomcat install.
>
> If you are interested in replacing Java because you don't like Java
> programming, that's a different story :-)

No, we don't want to replace the admin console just because it is
developed in Java. We actually do a lot of Java programming, from
Eclipse plugins to j2ee stuff, and we love it.

Actually, we even consider using Tomcat as the admin server.

The only thing we'd like to have is a clean separation of the directory
server and the admin server (along with the console), and have the admin
server and console run on other platforms such as Windows
(yeah I know... :)

ns-httpd is nice and all (which we used to develop on a few years
ago), but the king of http server is apache. And it is much easier
for us to find developers :)

> What if you were able to program the new interface you propose in  your
> language of choice, integrated against the existing RPC  interfaces?
> That way both front-ends could be supported.  For my own  part in it,
> one of the attractors to this project is the use of Java,  and I look
> forward to expanding the UI with it.  I would be  discouraged if the
> Java console and all manners of supporting it were  completely removed
> from the system.
>
> Brian

rgds

csp