[Fedora-directory-devel] Fedora Directory and Samba4

Mike Jackson mj at sci.fi
Mon Nov 7 13:12:19 UTC 2005

Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> While Samba4 includes it's own LDAP server, we have made extensive
> provision to back our data onto something like Fedora Directory, but I
> want to work with fellow interested developers on the details:  What
> would be reasonable for each end of the connection to do, particularly
> as we try and map behaviours/schemas/expectations.

Hi Andrew!

  What on earth made you all decide to write your own LDAP server when
there are others available for free, which are already well tested and
feature filled, as well as having plugin architectures (both FDS and
OpenLDAP)? Just curious.

  FDS has support for several types of plugins (pre-bind, post-bind,
post-op, etc), and nearly all of the server's functionality is
implemented with them. I am guessing that if Samba4 has special needs
wrt behaviour from the LDAP server, then it's time to design and
implement a "Samba 4 Plugin" for FDS (same things can be done for
OpenLDAP, they are just called "overlays").

Plugin Programmers Guide:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/plugin/7.1/pluginTOC.html

  I wrote an OpenLDAP -> FDS schema conversion tool and published it on
the FDS wiki.

http://www.directory.fedora.redhat.com/download/ol-schema-migrate.pl

  Feel free to include it in the examples/LDAP directory of Samba if you
like.

BR,
Mike