[Fedora-directory-devel] Re: Fedora-directory-devel Digest, Vol 7, Issue 2

Peter Djalaliev peter.djalaliev at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 22:05:54 UTC 2006

Hm,

I started from scratch, installing downloading, compiling and installing
everything on another machine.  Here is exactly what I did:

I started from scratch on a machine with Ubuntu Linux, kernel 2.6.  I
downloaded and installed OpenSSL 0.9.8.  Then I download and installed
Apache 2.0.55 with SSL enabled.  After that, I downloaded NSPR 4.6 (both the
source tree and the release) and NSS 3.10 (source tree). I copied the
nsprpub from the mozilla dir of the NSPR 4.6 source tree to the mozilla dir
of the NSS 3.10 source tree.  After compiling NSS, I used this and the
compiled release of NSPR 4.6 to compile mod_nss, which I downloaded from the
Fedora Directory Server website.

After compiling mod_nss, I installed it and modified the nss.conf (in the
Apache conf dir) file as follows: put <IfDefine SSL> and </IfDefine> around
its contents, specified where NSS should be looking for its database and
changed the nickname of the certificate NSS should look for in the database.

At this point, I could run 'apachectl startssl', which would ask me for the
NSS database password and then start.  I could establish the secure
connection through a browser - after being asked to accept the certificate
(which is the one I wanted NSS to use).

However, if I run 'httpd -X -k start' or 'httpd -X -k startssl', I get a
segmentation fault and a core dump.  When I used GDB to analyze it,
everythig seems fine until at some point, when the httpd executable receives
a SIGSEGV signal for a segmentation fault.

Now, if I reinstall Apache 2.0.55 from the same source tree I used before
(after first deleting the directory of the installed Apache), I can run
'httpd -X -k start' with no problem.  In the end, I generated a key and a
self-signed certificate and fired up Apache w/ mod_ssl with 'httpd -X -k
start -DSSL'.  It worked alright.

So, it seems that when I try to use mod_nss, I get a segmentation fault when
I try to use debugging.  When I revert back to mod_ssl, it works fine.
Where could things be going wrong?

Regards,
Peter