[Fedora-directory-devel] General use questions and diffs from Netscape

Deas, Jim James.Deas at warnerbros.com
Fri Jul 21 15:50:04 UTC 2006

I recently completed Redhats course on Directory Services and decided to
setup a test deployment using Fedora. In the course of doing this I came
across a couple of issues that I need to answer before I could use
Directory as a valid authentication system.

1) The web interface appears to create/handle group entrys different
from those migrated from the local files using the Redhat class altered
paddle scripts. From the class I remember changing the 'group' schema to
'groups'. End result, is there a way to create/manage 'groups' schema
entries using the Directory web page that match those created when my
existing /etc/group was migrated using the altered paddle scripts. If
not, why does Redhat suggest this change in their class?

2) Is there a way that the Directory web page can be used to create new
user accounts that include an autogen uid and gid? Currently it appears
to create a new user with all the posix data turned off. This is fine
from a management position as long as a uid generator exist to keep me
safe from producing duplicate uid/gid numbers.

Any help is appreciated.
Best Regards,
JD